MINI: #HALP! SOCIAL JUSTICE NEWBIE
A listener, "Social Justice Newbie," writes in with post-election regret and a resolve to mobilize her church toward political engagement. But then she hits hurdles.
Michelle Higgins, a St. Louis-based activist and church leader, weighs in with lessons from the front lines, book recommendations and concrete advice.
A summary of Michelle's advice, in seven key points.
(1) Find a pro to train your community in social justice engagement.
Michelle is a consultant for this group:
(2) Read books.
Michelle recommends these books:
Why We Can't Wait, by Martin Luther King, Jr.
The Cross and the Lynching Tree, by James Cone
Michelle also recommends books by these authors:
(3) Yo Church: get a plan for racial righteousness aka confess the things you're responsible for.
(4) Go in knowing it's going to be hard. It's going to be overwhelming. Buckle up. Overwhelm and exhaustion - these things are gifts.
(5) Y’all need to examine supremacist history in this country and in the church.
(6) Speak up.
(7) Center the impacted, those who are the most vulnerable.